Friday, August 15, 2008

Last Check of the night and Recipes

I always do a last check of the night on the kids before I go to bed. I like to make sure they are covered up, still wearing clothes and most importantly asleep(and asleep in their own beds). Last night this is what I saw on my last check:




Seeing them sleeping like this cracked me up, so I of course had to run to get the camera. I couldn't miss remembering this. I moved Preston back into his bed after the picture to ensure a better nights sleep for him and his brother!

The featured recipe:

I know you may not be able to read the recipe so I will type it out below but I at least wanted you to see the picture of the burger and where I got it from. I wish I could claim that I made up the recipe myself, but I didn't. This turkey burger is the best turkey burger ever! In fact Ron says it is now one of his favorite burgers!!!! He says it doesn't even need mayo, ketchup or any other topping he normally puts on a burger. It has so much flavor that you don't even realize you are eating turkey and eating healthy! Flavor and healthy- the best of both worlds!!

The Recipe:

2 tbsp dried porcini or shiitake mushrooms ( I used shiitake, but you can leave them out if you want the burger is still just as tasty-I cooked them both ways!)
1 cup boiling water
12 oz ground turkey breast(will make 4 decent sized burgers)
1/2 cup bottled salsa(I used Herdez medium salsa)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley(aka Italian parsley)
6 cloves garlic, minced(1 tbsp minced)-I did the 6 cloves and didn't measure
2tsp chopped fresh sage
1/8 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper(use reg.pre-ground pepper if that's what you have)
4 whole wheat hamburger buns(they are healthier but Ron and I think they compete with the flavor of the hamburgers. So you decide!)
1/2 cup bottled salsa (for topping the burgers at the end)


1. Rinse dried mushrooms well. Place mushrooms in a small bowl; add the boiling water. Let stand about 20 minutes or until soft. Drain the mushrooms well: finely chop.
2.In a medium bowl, combine the mushrooms, turkey,the 1/2 cup salsa, onion, parsley, garlic, sage, kosher salt, and black pepper. Shape mixture into four 3/4 inch-thick patties.
3. For a charcoal grill, place patties on the greased rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 14 to 18 minutes or until no longer pink (165*F), turning once halfway through grilling. For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place burgers on the greased grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above. Top each burger with 2 tbsp salsa. Makes 4 burgers.

I cooked them in a pan on the stove over medium heat and for the same amount of time. We don't have a grill here in VA unless we want to go over to the playground and use a common grill(plus we didn't have any charcoal). They turned out great this way too. I also put cheese on them but the recipe doesn't say to but you can do what you like. So try them and let me know how your family likes them. I will try and post more recipes later as I have time and as we try more!!! Happy Eating!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey KMM,
This sounds like it will be awesome. I can't wait to try it. Love to you all.
Auntie S.

Momma Kraus said...

Thanks for the comment! Great point about the quirks! I wish you could've been here too! I miss having someone to really talk to. I am just at a point where there is no one physically here to listen and hang with. As you may know, having a great husband is fantastic, but girls need girlfriends! It is just something inbred with us. Thanks for "listening"!