Saturday, October 17, 2009

Roots and Wings.....

teams up with The Breast Cancer 3-Day Fundraiser Walk. Today, I had the amazing opportunity to participate as a volunteer. Roots and Wings is a really great organization that was recently started by a woman I just met yesterday on facebook through a girl I graduated with in High School. Through some communication through facebook and email with Janelle I asked if she still needed volunteers. She said yes and was excited to have my help. Little did I know that it would end up meaning just as much to me to participate in the event as it did to her that I was there to help. Not knowing her, but helping anyways. Janelle Draper started Roots and Wings just a few months ago and has already made such an impact on those around her.

Janelle, Jason(her husband) and Teague (her son- 4)
Her website is www.foundationtofly.com.
This is a snippet from her blog about her passion for her non-profit organization.......

"This program has come to me in whispers, and yet it is the only thing I hear.

I have always had a passion to see children experience what it means to feel important, valued, and loved. I began my career as a teacher and prided myself on understanding my students' unique personalities. Through the years, I began to focus on the dynamic of the group through incorporating team building, problem solving, and communication skills. Year after year I would see children take risks, stretch beyond their boundaries, and become confident in their own unique abilities. It was there I found my roots.

Girls have numerous influences, both internal and external, that aid in the development of their self esteem. It has been my dream to help girls to see their limitless potential in an environment that encourages risk taking, celebrates creativity, and demonstrates the connection between us all. It is here I spread my wings."

Here are a few pictures I took from the 3 mile Walk Event Today...

this table along with 2 others were part of a silent auction to help raise money for the organization. I bidded on the pink and brown blanket you see in the pic. and finally won it after quite the bidding war!! So cute and I love using it already!

Some of the walkers along the route. I was a cross guard for the walkers and a cheerer! I had a blast dancing(to music from a boom box that died on me from the rain getting to it) and cheering for them.

Janelle and her mother who is a 13 year survivor of breast cancer

The walkers registering

A picture of the back of the shirts- the front says 'Giving girls the foundation to fly'