October 4th at 7:13 am, I was on the streets of Atlanta in the cool morning air.......running!!
A group called Street Grace was formed by a bunch of churches here in the Atlanta area(mine included) to stop child trafficking. Around 200-300 girls each month are trafficked for sex in Atlanta. The average age being 12 years old. I knew when they sent me a message about running a half marathon to raise money to fight child trafficking that I was in. Even though I had never run more than 1-2 miles at a time and a half marathon is 13.1!!! I realized only a month or so before the race that it was 13.1 miles instead of the 6 miles I thought it was(for some reason). I ran with hubby the week before the marathon 3.4 miles twice at a beautiful park on days that had great weather. I didn't do to bad on my time, so I knew I just had to pace myself during the half marathon and I would do ok. Well, I ran almost the whole half marathon, only walking maybe a mile. I finished in 2hours 33 minutes and 23 seconds making each mile about an 11 minute mile.
My friend Darlene I met during the run was great to talk to and kept me going(she is in the pink). Also the woman behind me in the purple is one of my new friends Carla that I met through another friend at a girls night out. She just happen to be running this marathon also. Her and her husband were great to talk to toward the end of the race!!
The rest of my stats:
Finished-
#2,099 out of 2,601 runners that finished the race
#201 out of 252 for my age (25-29 women)- me being at the top of that range :-(
#1,086 out of 1,454 females that finished the race
My knees and hips killed me after I finished!!! Oh my goodness did they hurt and felt like they were going to freeze up on me. But I felt so good and knew I had helped make a difference in some girls lives. I will run again but only for a good cause. I don't think I will do a full marathon but I don't like to say never!!
My awesome cheering team!! I love these boys so much!!
1 comment:
That's awesome! Congrats! I wish I could go that. :)
Post a Comment